DEPARTMENT OF BHARATANATYAM
The department of Bharatanatyam was established in the year 1958. Smt. Kalakshetra Vilasini was the first Head of the Department from 1962 to 1995. She was followed by Smt. Radhamani Amma and Smt. Lalitha K.
- B.A. Bharatanatyam
This is a three year regular undergraduate programme with 15 seats (boys/girls). The candidates secured 12th and must aptitude in the art form are eligible for apply for the course.
- M.A. Bharatanatyam
Master’s programme in Bharatanatyam is a 2 year full-time course with 10 seats (boys/girls). Candidates with Bachelor’s degree with minimum 55% of marks are eligible for apply.
- Basic qualification will be plus two or equivalent.
- Applicants have to attend an interview and aptitude test for the selection.
- In aptitude test the talent and skill in the particular art form of the candidate are being examined.
- The admission will be on the basis of the rules and regulations of MG University and Government of Kerala.
- The candidate shall be selected for the admission on the basis of the index marks obtained in the qualifying examination (U.G. in Bharatanatyam) and the rules and regulations of MG University and Government of Kerala.
Academic initiative programmes
- Conducting workshops, seminars and performances of eminent scholars and renowned performers in the field every academic year.
- Weekly and monthly dance performances and seminar presentations of the students are also being conducted.
- Students are getting training in Bharatanatyam along with the accompaniment of vocal and mridangam.
- An in depth syllabus of the art form are being followed both for graduation and post-graduation.
- Offering complimentary and open courses of allied subjects for graduate students.
- Separate dancing hall for each courses.
- A common air conditioned Mirror Room for Abhinaya practice named ‘Rugminidevi Arundale Abhinayadarpanam’. This was inaugurated by Padmabhushan Alarmel Valli on 3/10/2013 in the presence of Padmabhushan Dr. K.J. Yesudas.
The department conducts Scholar-in-Residence programme and ‘Sadhana’, the Music and Dance festivals every year.
The following scholars and performing artistes had participated in the programmes :-
- Adyar Lakshmanan
- V. Chandrasekharan
- Narasimha Rao
- Bhanumathi Bangalore
- Priyadarshini Govind
- Shijith Krishna
In the present academic year Scholar-in-Residence programme was conducted by Smt. Sreelatha Vinod, Chennai from 7/11/18 – 9/11/18.
Smt. Meenakshi Sreenivasan will be performed for ‘Sadhana’ on 28/11/18.
Junior Lecturer in Bharatanatyam
- Shimna K.T.K. (H.O.D.)
Mob : 9496386634
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remya T.
Mob : 9605097852
e-mail : email@example.com
- Shafeekudeen B.K.
Mob : 9846534904
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Supporting Artistes (Vocal)
- Madhavan Nampoothiri C.P.
Mob : 9447041273
e-mail : email@example.com
- Madhusoodhanan K.B.
Mob : 9495521085
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Supporting Artistes (Mridangam)
- Rakenth T.
Mob : 9946683023
e-mail : email@example.com
- Ajai K. Aravind
Mob : 9744766704
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org